Monday, September 30, 2024

 “You can take the boy out of Vallejo, but you can’t take Vallejo out of the boy.”

My new book, The Short Stories of C.W. Spooner, will be released October 31. Check out the cover image over there on the right—an aerial shot taken at dawn, Mare Island to the right, the City of Vallejo to the left, Mt. Diablo in the background. Many of my stories take place in Vallejo. Simply put, it will always be home.

The Kindle edition is available now to pre-order from Amazon.com, which means Amazon will automatically send a copy to your Kindle on the release date. The paperback and hardbound editions will also be released on October 31.

You may ask, “Dude, why are you doing this now? Why collect all your short stories in one volume?” The answer is simple: I always wanted to be a writer, but I got a very late start. In rushing to make up for lost time, I made mistakes. This is my opportunity to correct those errors and put my stories in final form. Did I fix everything? Is this volume perfect? Probably not. But I know it is much improved.

I hope you will find a few stories you like. Maybe you’ll keep the book around to reread an old favorite now and then. Or just let it lay around in plain sight as a conversation piece. If nothing else, at 540 pages, it makes a good doorstop.

One thing I know for sure: a book is no good without readers. Thank you for reading!

C.W. Spooner

_____


3 comments:

  1. Finally! This is the first time in many years that this site has allowed me to comment - progress. I am very excited to learn that you have decided to complete this project, Charlie. I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading each of your stories/books, and hope that this collection will be a HUGE success. You deserve nothing less. In my opinion, Mr. Spooner, you are a truly talented writer and it is my belief that anyone who takes the time to read your stories will find something for them to ponder and enjoy. These wonderful stories are not only for those who can relate to the Vallejo area, but rather are stories which can/will be appreciated by everyone who reads them. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous! I think I recognize your "voice," but I won't reveal your identity. Just rest assured your name appears in the Acknowledgements section. You were the first to offer encouragement and I won't forget it.

      Delete
  2. Going for the hardback Coach. I like the heft of them there books and yours is heading for the Campbell archives.

    ReplyDelete