Monday, August 7, 2017

Here's why...

Some folks have asked why I haven't changed the name of this blog. Why call it "The Rejected Writer's Journal"? Well, folks, it's because those rejection notices keep on comin'. Though I have to admit, some are better than others. The following is a brief sampling of recent receipts.

Dear Writer,
     We don't know of anyone who hasn't had work returned at one time or another, but that certainly doesn't make it any easier. We hope you will find consolation in the individuality of editorial tastes and the assurance that, with persistence, good work will be recognized as such.
         -- The Editors, Santa Monica Review
[It's always bad news when they don't use your name. This is my third rejection from SMR. Same letter each time. (sigh)]

Dear Writer,
     Unfortunately, after several rounds of editorial consideration, we have decided that your material does not meet our needs for the current issue. This does not necessarily reflect upon your writing style or skill.
         -- The MUSE Editorial Staff
[Several rounds? Really? Wow! I was almost there. Or not.]

Dear C.W. Spooner,
     Thank you for sending us "A Proper Salute." Unfortunately, this piece is not a right fit for Faultline, but we wish you the best of luck in placing it elsewhere.
          -- Faultline Fiction Editor
[Hmmm... What is a "right fit"? Opposite of a "wrong fit" I presume. ]

Dear C.W. Spooner,
     Unfortunately we were not able to accept your text "Eureka" for publication...but would like to encourage you to consider submitting to us in the future. We are interested in reading more of your work.
          --The Fiction International Team
[Oh my! This one is almost encouraging.]

Of course, all of these are preferable to my friends at Glimmer Train. GT happily sucks up my "readers fees" but never responds. On their online submission system, they simply change the status from "Pending" to "Completed," which means, "Thanks, but no thanks." I think I'll keep my readers fees.

And there you have it: the reason for retaining the name of this blog. Actually, I'm just poking a little fun at the editors. It's all good. They have a VERY tough job to do and a TON of material to wade through.

Ah, but here's to the editors who sent acceptance notices. God bless 'em, one and all.

     Harry Diavatis (RIP), the Monday Update (stories, essays, poems, memoirs -- by the dozen)
     Mike Stanley, Spitball -- The Literary Baseball Magazine (three stories)
     Regina Williams, The Storyteller
     Casey Dorman, Lost Coast Review (two stories)
     M. Scott Douglass, The Main Street Rag 

Someone once said, "If you throw enough 'stuff' at the wall, some of it will stick." Ain't it the truth?

CWS
_____



3 comments:

  1. Ah, my friend, we keep good company. At least you have had quite a few of accepted letters as well! My poetry and short stories rejections are filling up my hard drive as I write. I find it a boring day when I don't get a rejection letter! I must confess, I am the happy recipient of two (2) rejection letters from Glimmer Train, and I must say, the rejection is the same whether they write you a response or not. REJECTED is still rejected. You aren't missing much. But I needed this today. I have submitted my third novel to the querying world, and each day is an adventure of who is going to reject me next. No matter how many you get, how much you mentally fight it, how thick a skin you have grown...rejection hurts. But it is a part of writing. Too big a part...but a part all the same. But you wouldn't quit telling stories, and thus, you will continue to put your life, love, passion, heart, and soul out there for us to see. I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog title, Chuck. It expresses the fact that whoever is a writer is a rejected writer until they're not, and then they can be even after that! I, of course, rarely get rejected because I rarely submit! I had an instructor once who said if you're not getting five rejections a week, you're not submitting enough. So not only am I a rejected writer, I'm a submission failure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems there are enough readers to consume every word written, but not enough outlets. Keep on writing, Charlie, it's for the readers, while you weave through the business of "press."

    ReplyDelete