Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Blurb anyone?

My wife and I moved to Orange County, California, in December of 2013. Among the pleasant results of our move has been my association with O.C. Writers, specifically with a sub-group called the Lake Forest Writers Roundtable. That's where I met Casey Dorman.

Casey is a retired professor of psychology who became a publisher, editor, and author of about a dozen novels. Through his own Avignon Press, he published the Lost Coast Review, a fine literary journal. Casey closed out his publishing activities early in 2016 after experiencing a life-threatening health scare. It turned out to be a false alarm and we look forward to having him with us for decades to come.

After submitting the manuscript for Like a Flower in the Field, it occurred to me that it would be good to have a blurb from a respected author and industry pro to feature on the cover. Casey had read several of my stories and had accepted two of them for Lost Coast Review. I thought that was a large enough sample, so I asked him if he would care to blurb on my behalf. He said yes, but first he'd have to read the entire manuscript. That was way more than I expected, but typical Casey. Here is the statement he provided:

Aging, wisdom, remorse, poignancy, what it means to be a man in a changing world--it's all there in twenty-two unforgettable stories, told with elegance and sensitivity. I picked up the book on a sunny morning, looking for a brief diversion, and didn't put it down until I'd finished.

--Casey Dorman, Editor, Lost Coast Review, author of I, Carlos; Finding Martin Bloom; and Murder in Nirvana.

If you are getting the impression that I have great respect and admiration for Mr. Dorman, you are absolutely right. The O.C. Writers community is very supportive and Casey Dorman is at the top of the list.

Thank you, Casey!

CWS
_____

4 comments:

  1. Writing is exciting, made even more so in expectancy, waiting for that "blurb" from a special friend, like wrapping a 'coat of arms' around your work, a special signal to others of your place in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see, this is what a blog posting can lead to! I was just about to comment here on the talented Casey Dorman and how spot on he is describing your work as reflecting on “what it means to be a man in a changing world…told with elegance and sensitivity.” But then I thought about the word “blub” in your title of this posting. “Well, hmm… what does blurb mean anyway?" I wondered. So while looking up the definition, (WOW) I noticed that it was coined by a humorist named Gelett Burgess who wrote the poem, “Purple Cow”! His biography on Wikipedia is truly fascinating. He published a magazine that accepted women’s works when others didn’t. He is thought to have been fired from Berkeley for toppling a statue to a guy who favored temperance. Then I remembered your stories about San Francisco in “Yeah, What Else?” How's that for a bit of coming around full circle?
    Well, I’m glad, Chuck that you introduced me to Burgess by way of your title. He’s my kind of guy and I’m glad your posting led me to him! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelett_Burgess
    Can’t wait for "Like a Flower in the Field."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful blurb! Lucky you. Good luck with your publication.

    ReplyDelete